Home Maintenance Musts: Going Beyond Repairs
Posted on: March 17, 2016 by Aegis General
Spring is right around the corner, which means it’s time for some spring cleaning and maintenance. While most assume that home maintenance means repairs, that is not always the case. When homeowners are diligent in regularly maintaining their homes, it prevents damage and wear in the first place. With that said, here are some ways to maintain the home year-round. In addition, it’s required that owners carry a comprehensive Homeowners Insurance Program to protect their investments and protect against the common risks associated with home ownership.
- Test the garage door to ensure it’s working properly and that is stops when it senses an obstruction.
- Replace the filters in the furnace at least three times a year.
- Vacuum the coils underneath the refrigerator. Over time, this build-up will cause the refrigerator to work harder and decrease its efficiency.
- Inspect and clean the chimney flue once a year.
- Popular Mechanics says to replace the batteries in smoke detectors yearly and remember, even recent hard-wired smoke detectors have backup batteries that must be replaced. This is easy to forget but they are critical for safety.
- Ensure the air conditioning unit is clear of any debris. Further, overgrown hedges and bushes should be trimmed to allow it plenty of room to work properly.
- Vacuum the duct from the clothes dryer at least once per year. While most of the lint is caught in the traps, there is always some excess that can seep into the ducts. Further, if these ducts are made of plastic, replace them immediately as they are fire hazards. Sheet metal ducts are recommended.
- Inspect door and window caulking to ensure no leaks will occur when a storm hits.
- Check that the ground fault circuit interrupter is functioning.
- Clean the gutters regularly and free them of any debris.
At Aegis General Insurance Agency, we underwrite homeowner’s insurance products that are available throughout the United States. Our integrity, long-term agency relationships, and competitive products are a direct result of our long standing success. To learn more about our operation, contact us today at (855) 399-0966.